How Long Does It Take For Life Insurance To Kick In?
When considering a life insurance policy, it is important to know how long it takes for the policy to pay out after the insured person has passed away. Typically, most standard policies are paid within 30 to 60 days of the claim, but there are some circumstances where the length of time could be longer.
Factors Affecting Life Insurance Pay Out
When a claim is made, the beneficiary of the life insurance policy needs to contact the insurer with the death certificate and other relevant documents. The claim will then be processed and paid out. However, there are several factors that can affect the length of time it takes for payment to be made. These include:
- The insurer needing to carry out an investigation into the death, especially if it is due to suicide or forms part of a police investigation.
- The policy having a waiting period, during which time the payout amount is lowered or not paid out at all.
- The policy being no longer in place due to lapsed premiums, which could mean that the policy has lapsed and is invalid.
- The policy having a specified term associated with it, after which time the policy is considered finished and cover is no longer provided.
- The policy being a joint life insurance policy set to only pay out when both policyholders have passed away.
How to Ensure a Smooth Life Insurance Payout
To ensure that the life insurance policy pays out smoothly and promptly, it is important to:
- Make a will that clearly states who the intended beneficiaries are, and includes the contact details for the insurer and policy number.
- Ensure that premiums are up to date to avoid the policy lapsing and becoming invalid.
- Understand the specifics of the policy, especially if it has a waiting period or a specified term associated with it.
- Consider setting up a trust to mitigate inheritance tax and ensure that the money is distributed as per the terms of the trust.
Overall, life insurance policies are designed to provide financial support for the loved ones of the insured person after their death. By understanding the factors that affect the length of time it takes for the policy to pay out and taking steps to ensure a smooth payout, you can help to make sure that your loved ones receive the financial support they need during a difficult time.
Our carriers beat Colonial Penn, Globe Life, and AARP 96% of the time*
* Based on website quote requests, through 5/31/23.
(Check your rate to see their rates vs. ours)