|Benefits of a Term Life Rider on a Permanent Life Insurance Policy|
|Provides a larger payout if you die while your children are still dependents|
|Helps pay for a mortgage or student loans if you die before your debt is paid off|
|Cheaper option than buying a standalone term life policy now and a whole life policy down the road|
However, note that permanent life insurance types are significantly more expensive than term life insurance policies and adding a term rider will further increase your premium. If cost is your primary concern, you might instead consider a term life policy to cover your beneficiaries’ immediate needs.
Typically, you won’t be able to add a term rider to a policy you already own. Most companies and policies do allow you to remove a term rider from your permanent life insurance policy before the rider’s term is over.
On the other hand, if you’ll need the flexibility to increase your death benefit over time, consider a guaranteed insurability rider.
Before purchasing, check with your insurance company for their policy on removing a rider and to determine the best policy for your needs.
- The Motley Fool. Life Insurance Riders: Common Types Explained - Progressive
- Investopedia. What Is A Term Life Insurance Rider?
- Ramsey Solutions. Types Of Life Insurance Policies And Riders
- Business Insider. What Is A Life Insurance Term Rider
- US News & World Report. Rider: Definition, How Riders Work, Types, Cost, And ...